The village of Redruth began to take shape in the 12th century. It developed around the ford, some distance away from the parish church. This was typical of many Cornish parishes. The church with its surrounding cottages, is overlooked by Carn Brea across the parish boundary. The oldest part of the present church building is the tower, built in 1490. The body of the church was enlarged in 1756 to accommodate a growing number of parishioners.
At the bottom of Coach Lane are reminders of the more recent past. The car park on the left was the site of the town's first railway station, when the line from Redruth to Hayle opened in 1838. By 1852 the railway had been extended to Penzance in the west and Truro in the east. The viaduct, over the centre of town was built at this time, originally of wood, and the present station was opened. Fore Street
has been Redruth's main shopping street since the early 18th century. On market days in the 19th century it was packed with stalls selling everything from limpets to pianos.